With the season changing from a crisp and chilly fall to a cold and frigid winter, I find myself winding down for the evening earlier and earlier. I just want to curl up on the couch, wrap up in my fuzzy blanket with my pup nestled behind my knees and watch good old Netflix. I love watching TV. It’s the best way for me to relax and turn off whatever is swirling around in my head.
I’m not partial to either a fab TV series or a fantastic movie but when I do get started on a great series I get so attached to the characters and the story that sometimes it toys with my emotions and makes me contemplate therapy. But doggone it makes me so happy!
So naturally I thought I’d share my TOP 5 Netflix TV Shows and TOP 5 Netflix Movies with y’all!! Sharing is caring, right?
My top 5 binge-worthy TV Shows:
5. Lock Up: Extended Stay – Okay…truth be told I’ve been watching this show for years even before I boarded the Netflix train. I’ve just become even more obsessed. I can probably recite the bio of every inmate interviewed on every episode too. It’s a documentary series that follows the day-to-day lives of inmates and officers in various jails and prisons in America.
4. Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce – LOVE this series. I’m a Sex & the City fanatic and this one totally channels that vibe…maybe with a little more drama though. It’s a comedy-drama…”dramedy.” The show follows another author (like Carrie Bradshaw) who writes self-help books but after she announces that she’s going through a divorce her successful writing career suffers.
3. Haters Back Off – OMG! I get it! But y’all…I LOVE THIS SHOW! So much so that I’m disappointed they’re no longer making new episodes. Although sometimes cringe worthy…it’s totally addicting. The characters are ridiculous yet endearing. Haters is a comedy that follows a fictional YouTube star Miranda Sings and her family life. And can I just say…we all have a little Miranda Sings in us!!
2. Orange is the New Black – So good. I think this was the first series that I ever binged. The show revolves around a woman sentenced to prison for being involved in drug smuggling. If I’m not mistaken the show and book, Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman,is based on a true story…yes it is. It confronts so many crazy and scary issues with the characters and the prison system as well but it’s heartfelt and hilarious.
1. The Good Witch – My absolute favorite! Okay…anything Hallmark is my favorite. This series originated on the Hallmark Channel. It’s about a widow with magical powers who is raising her daughter in a supposed haunted house. Plus I adore Catherine Bell and James Denton!
My top 5 must see movies on Netflix:
5. Julie & Julia – This movie stars Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. It’s about a girl named Julie who cooks her way through Julia Child’s cookbook,
Mastering the Art of French Cooking, while blogging about it. I LOVE IT! One of my goals is to cook my way through my culinary hero’s book as well. Coincidentally, I did my final essay project in culinary school about Julia Child. However, Julia’s cooking style is just a bit sophisticated for me. I’m more like the one and only Pioneer Woman herself…Ree Drummond. One of these days y’all…one of these days.
4. Christian Mingle – Faith-based romantic comedy is at the top of my list for movie genres. Lacy Chabert is so adorable! What can I say…I love cutesy movies. After her friend gets engages and she becomes the last single woman in her group a successful ad executive and non-practicing Christian signs up for the online dating website, Christian Mingle. I know y’all…but it’s so uplifting!
3. Sex & the City: The Movie – Well I already told y’all I’m a SATC fanatic. In the series finale we saw Carrie & Mr. Big’s fairy tale ending, yet I still felt like I needed a BIGGER commitment. I mean…HELLO…so many times their relationship went south. The movie gave it to me! FINALLY!
2. Dumplin’ – This Netflix Original based on the book, Dumplin’ by Julie Murphy, has been the talk of social media and well deserving! Super inspiring story about self-acceptance. Willowdean AKA Dumplin’ is a plus-sized teenager whose mother is a former beauty queen that runs the local beauty pageant. As sort of a protest to the stereotypical pageant contestant, and to prove a point that anyone is capable of measuring up and fitting in, Dumplin’ enters her mother’s pageant. And on top of that a whole lot of music by Dolly Parton!
1. Set It Up – This Netflix Original movie is a funny and sweet romantic comedy. Great actors and great chemistry. It’s about two overworked assistants who find a way to get their demanding bosses off their backs…by setting them up on a date. Predictable and silly…maybe…but super fun and LOL!
There are so many more, but these are a few I get really excited about watching, and so much more when a new season comes out.
What are your favorite Netflix shows?
Drop a comment below!